Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Yes, I Googled.

There are many reasons I feel a little silly walking into Plato's Closet to shop for myself:
-The website states: "for teen and twenty something guys and girls." Next week I will officially be too old to shop there.
-I get dirty looks from the size -3 girls that pretend they have to squeeze by my 'mother-of-two" frame to get to the shoes.
-I can never tell what my size is. Unfortunately, because our culture insists on making teens feel like 'fluffy girls' (and making them feel like that's a bad thing), the size M that I normally fit into is an XL there...hmmmm. Nice.
Still, into that store I go and out I come with plenty of clothes for very little money.
It's worth the humiliation.
My parents gave me a little birthday money early and told me to go crazy on clothes.
As I thought about what I needed to boost my wardrobe I did the most embarrassing thing.
The thing that if any of those skinny minnies who gave me sidelong glances yesterday would have known about, I could have been kicked right out of the the store.
I googled.
I goggled "fashion for 30somethings".
And I meant it.
I really thought that I should keep my new age in mind before shopping.
And I really thought it might be helpful to see what the web had to say.
Unfortunately (or maybe it was fortunate?) I was not impressed with the tips. Business casual, accessorize, heels! Blah!
Heels on a playground? No thanks.
Necklaces and earings that I am not comfortable in for my 1 year old to rip out? Not so much.
I laughed at myself, shut down the computer and decided to go for what was comfortable:
Mini skirts and tube tops.
Ok, so not really.
Plato's Closet was my first stop and I found plenty of jeans, a skirt and only 1 shirt (after trying on literally 50ish). The 1 shirt was due to the aforementioned size confusion.
I was beginning to chaff.
Next stop: Old Navy.
Ahhh....clothes and sizes I can relate to! And clearance sales. Woot woot!
I am finally the owner of new pajama pants (and yes, that is just as exciting as the banana republic jeans I scored!) and numerous cute tops.
I came home and strutted my stuff in my new stuff for my oh-so-sweet-patient-supportive-husband. And my wonderful 3 year old that said over and over: "Oh Bootiful! Oh Mommy! So Cute!!" Does it get any better?
And today as I pick which sweater to wear, I realize that these are the first winter clothes I've had in years that aren't stretched thin from my pregnancies. Yep...I'm officially stylin'!
And feeling a little less frumpy...even though I googled.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh fun!!! Love that store! Even if I to have to also ignore looks and calculate sizes! Who cares what the tag says when your family thinks you're "bootiful"? :)