I began blogging 2 years ago to keep family updated on family stuff and pictures. I would visit other blogs to see how things were set up and get ideas. At times the blog has been a way to journal, a cheap way to scrapbook, a place to share. It also has become an out, a humbling experience and a way to make friends.
Last year, Dic and I were blessed with a coffee date with this blogger and her husband. She and I have connected through emails and blog comments. This last August she texted to see if we would be around for a weekend visit this fall. I was thrilled and a little confused:
"Why would she want to drive her family all that way to see us?"
Regardless of the reasons, this last weekend the families of Grace Upon Grace and Until Paradise were under one roof. It was such a short, full weekend and this morning I was very sad to see it end.
I will probably make a few installments of this weekend because it was very special, but wanted to get a few things out before I forget.
Friday they arrived late and we let our kids stay up and play. Eventually we sent them to bed, then the men and Denise and I found ourselves staying up way too late.
We decided all the next day that we are just too old for 2:30am!
We went to a special breakfast, just us ladies, while our fabulous husbands stayed home with the girls and cinnamon rolls.
We spent the afternoon at a busy farm/pumpkin patch and laughed with our girls that became fast friends.
We enjoyed a simple dinner and a few glasses of wine.
This mama should have stuck to just one small one.
No sleep + Wine + afternoon in the sun = a woman that ceases to make sense and shares a little too much!
We had breakfast together this morning and before I knew it they were gone.
I've been quiet today: reflecting on the time together, tearing myself apart with insecurity, laughing at things that were said.
I was so impacted by these guests that I just want to reflect.
Denise and C.R. are sweet people with a genuine faith that shines. Have you ever been around someone who loves the Lord and lives for Him in such a way you just...are a little ashamed of yourself? Each one of us stands before God entirely alone. He doesn't compare us to anyone but Christ. And when we acknowledge Him as our Savior, He only sees Christ when He looks at us.
But I am not that way. I compare.
And this weekend I saw some serious things that I can work on. One of many was the quiet way that Denise respects C.R. -and him her. It stopped me in my tracks.
I love my husband. I respect him and adore him. But I don't know that it shows. I like to have my hand in everything and be right about everything. I correct stories he tells, if he's disciplining Little Miss I chime in, I interrupt, I answer for him when someone asks him a question. None of this is done intentionally, but it is disrespectful. He is calm and patient with me and today we have been talking about it.
I don't mean this as a "Man, I will never be as great as Denise!" post. I believe the reason for fellowship among believers is to challenge one another to live boldly and purposefully before God. I am so appreciative of the time we had with Grace Upon Grace.
Anywho...
More fun, less awkward posts later. It was a doozy of a weekend, let me tell ya! Full of laughter, tears (I'm always choked up about something), camels, pumpkins, man contests, and even a nasty stomach bug.
4 comments:
no pictures of your wonderful weekend?!
Sounds like a great way to spend a weekend! It is so good to meet with sisters in Christ and be challenged by one another's faith. Glad you had a great time!
We really did have a blast hanging out with you guys. Good times. (You know, other than the whole puking thing.) I'm cracking up just thinking about your late-night list making. Ahem.
Seriously, though. I'm sorry that you felt insecure. Anything good you see in us is totally because of the Lord. I'm so far from where I'd like to be. But I love what you said about God seeing Christ when He looks at us. To quote Lecrae, "It ain't about what you do, it's about what He did. Salvation ain't a feeling, it's a position."
So good to have wonderful fellowship and be inspired by what you see. I know that you inspire people too, so keep that in mind!
Post a Comment