Friday, September 10, 2010

Back Seat Driver

Dic has been making fun of me this week. He says I am acting like a 16 year old that just got her license and a new car. I have been driving everywhere.
But that's not what this post is about. I only said that so I could post a picture of the van.

Tricky, aren't I?

Little Miss has become quite vocal.
Along with that a new little boss has entered our world. She is constantly correcting, guiding, directing...BOSSING us around.
In the car, "No, Mommy! Go that way!!"
At home, "Daddy, get me that! I need it!"
At church, "Mommy, say good-bye now!"
In the hallway, "Fo! Get outta my way!"
Sigh. It's both entertaining and exhausting. We are working on respect and manners, while embracing her independence and special chatty self.
When she bosses me around from the backseat, I calmly explain why I can't comply.
"Well, sweetie, I can't go right now. We are waiting for our green light. Right now we're at a red light. We have to wait our turn. See, everyone has to share and take turns, even grown ups." Slick attempt at a teachable moment, eh?
"Oh."
Now she scolds Dic that he "ran the red light" and "it's not your turn!".
The backseat driver is, shall we say, driving me crazy!
Today I was at a stop light and reached down to rummage in my purse. I'm sure for something important...not a graham cracker for myself or anything silly like that.
"Mommy, go!"
"Honey, I have to wait my turn. Let's not be bossy..."
"Mommy! Green! Go!"
Sigh. I glanced up from my munching to find - oops! Green light. My turn! Thanks, Little Miss!
At times her chatter is helpful, entertaining, wonderful.
Other times...well...
Today at Fo's eye Dr appointment, we were waiting in the room for our Dr to come in. Little Miss said, "Him coming!" I smiled and said, "Yes she is. It's a girl Dr, so she is coming."
"Oh."
Our Dr entered just then and, to my horror, LM began to cry out hysterically: "Not a girl, Mommy! That's not a girl!! Not a girl!"
Eek.
Our Dr has short hair and does appear a little on the masculine side.
I scurried to hand LM a cracker to plug up that mouth!
After the Dr confirmed that Fo needs eye surgery and I started to understand the financial aspect of this...I was a little less inclined to make sure we didn't hurt the dear doctor's feelings! We are apparently paying for all of her good feelings! And her car...

My friend's 3 year old wears glasses and we decided to try them out on Fo. Isn't she stylin'?

Gotta love this loud mouth. Like mother, like daughter.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

My son announced to a lady a few months ago, "My, you sure have a big tummy!" Groan. Those little mouths...

denise said...

Sunshine once told a (slightly scary-looking) man in camo that his clothes "are dirty and he needs a bath."

On the plus side, don't you just love the sound of those little voices? Someday we'll miss 'em.