My oldest is two.
I might be a bit early for this party.
I do not believe that home schooling is for every parent, but I do believe any parent can do it.
This is new to me because while I have always been a fan, I was not sure until Little Miss was born that I was going to be a home schooling parent. I in no way felt qualified. I don't have a college degree, I am highly unorganized and every "career" test I've ever taken has strongly suggested I avoid teaching. It was recommended that I be an airplane stewardess or pastor. Did you know those went hand in hand?
However, a wonderful encouraging woman, who home schools her adorable brood of 5, finally spoke words to me that my spirit knew and just couldn't verbalize. They went something like this:
Home schooling is just an expansion of what you are already doing: teaching your children. Who is better equipped to teach your own children than you?
I love that. I drink in those words and remind myself daily that God is sovereign. God created these children and chose me for their mother. God has pressed upon my heart to teach these girls of mine in our own home and He will equip me to do it.
I am just so excited to get started!
Little Miss and I already like to work on shapes, colors, letters and numbers.
I also love to take opportunities to teach as we go through life.
I love to bake with her. And sing with her. And dance with her.
I love to sit and talk with Fo. She watches my mouth with such delight and fascination. I can literally hear the wheels in her head spinning as she mouths the words I am saying.
Last week we were having a wonderful time with just us (doesn't happen much with 2nd borns!) and she said, "Mama" for the first time. I got chills at how wonderful that sounds in her sweet little voice.
This week in church I taught the class about the first day of creation. Our verse was, "And God said, 'Let there be light,' and there was light." Genesis 1:3.
I love the creation story. How powerful that God spoke all things into creation. That He formed man and breathed life into him; that he fashioned woman out of Adam's rib.
I can't get over the power of our God. He spoke and it happened.
He spoke and there was light. He breathed and there was life.
Surely if someone this powerful placed these girls in my life and has instructed me to teach them from home, He will equip me beyond my wildest expectations to teach them in a way that is fitting and pleasing to Him.
I can't wait to watch how He does it all.
He is already doing so much.
And as another mom said so wonderfully, "Why would I want to give away all their precious moments of learning and discovering to a complete stranger? I want to experience it!"
3 comments:
I've been thinking about this too a lot this last year. I am leaning a lot more toward home schooling now..I think I talked to the same "mom of five" and her point really hit me. You already are home schooling! :) Another mom I know raved about the fun of relearning the things she was teaching her kids! I think that is awesome, there are times when I think, man, if I were to be in school now, I would pay sooo much more attention and be so much more interested. It makes me excited that I can do that in homeschooling. I feel sort of in the same boat with not being a teacher, but with God's help, I can be a learner and teach my kids once I relearn it myself!
I was in the exact same boat as you three years ago. After one full year of homeschooling, I will NEVER send my kids to a "traditional" school. WE LOVE IT!
If I can home school, anyone can! Love you!
Post a Comment