Monday, April 12, 2010

Great Love

Today I was transported to 1979 with a young woman who had been betrayed by her husband of five years and left to care for their 2 year old daughter alone. Through a series of God-directed events, she met a loving man to share her life with. Beauty came in the midst of ashes.
The woman was my mother. Her daughter, my sister and their hero - my Dad.
I have long thought my parents love story the most romantic I have ever heard. I love to hear it, although at times I groan in daughterly disgust at the details.
Recently I have been praying for God to bring me a story to write - one of His making. I have started so many and have dozens more twirling in my head at all times. I so long to finish one.
My parents' story just won't leave my mind. So I asked permission and sat down with my mom today for the first of many interviews to come.
We giggled through old letters and cards. My beet-red face indicating which series of letters I happened upon, our feminine sighs gave way to the more romantic cards and I asked many questions about things that happened long before I was in the picture.
Now the enormous task looms before me: to tell their story in a way that honors them and brings light to an even greater story:
You see, the reason my folks' love is so romantic is that it mirrors another love I know.
The love of a God for His people. A relentless God who will give His all for the sake of those He loves.
He delights in us.
He pursues us to the ends of the earth.
His thoughts for us outnumber the grains of sand.
He delights in us.
He will quiet us with His love.
Because to Him this love was worth dying for, I long to make this love with my Savior one worth living for.
I can't wait to share our personal family story with you, but it will be a while. For now I will continue to share as much as I can about the love our Father in Heaven has for each one of us.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I can't wait to read it!

Amy.E said...

I love it! What a wonderful idea...and a true love story is so much more magical than a purely fictional love story. Can't wait to hear about your progress.

denise said...

Love, love this idea! Your parents' story sounds amazing. I'm a total sucker for a good love story :)