It's so easy to see pictures of devastation in a far away country and not feel totally connected. I have a problem with that. I feel horrible and sad when people are suffering...but pictures on my TV and Internet don't always make me think the way I should. I really should be more concerned for people I don't know.
I began to really think about what that situation would be like for us. I don't live in a place that is prone to earthquakes or even very bad weather. I don't worry about floods or hurricanes or earthquakes. But this doesn't mean it won't happen and it doesn't mean I shouldn't be completely affected when it hits somewhere else.
I don't know much about how they live in Haiti, but I know a lot about the human race.
And I realized that when that earthquake hit:
Someone was in labor.
Someone was nursing her baby.
A husband and wife were arguing.
A husband and wife were laughing together.
Sisters were giggling.
Brothers were playing.
Someone was fixing dinner, maybe even grumbling to herself about her day.
Someone was working.
Someone was praying.
Someone was teaching.
Someone was whistling.
A mother cared for her sick child.
A father was teaching something new to his children.
A story was being told.
Someone was heartbroken.
Someone already felt as low as they could get.
Someone was making plans.
Someone was in love.
Someone was eating.
Someone was happy.
Someone was doing something they shouldn't.
Someone was taking their last breaths.
Someone was taking their first breaths.
Someone was doing what they should.
Someone was admiring the beauty of creation.
All were caught by surprise and hurled into devastation and desperation.
Not one of us is immune. In times like this, it would be so easy to question the God I love. But I know He is all-knowing, all-seeing, wise and purposeful. I also know that we live in a fallen, sinful world and this was not His plan for us. I know that He loves us so much more than we can imagine.
Even more...I know He made a way to be with Him. So that despite horrific happenings here, we can hope and live for eternity with Him.
Soon there will be no earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, poverty, sadness or pain. Soon.
3 comments:
I was thinking last night while watching the news and seeing all the people hurting, that God must be heartbroken. If I feel heartbroken for these people then how much more so does our Lord feel. He knows who will come to know Him because of this and whose faith will be stronger. I have to hold onto that. I just want so badly to "fix it". I hate watching people suffer. I did hear there was a group of Haitians singing hymns together the day after and I love that! That is the kind of faith I want to strive for. When your life is in ruins and there is devastation and dead all around you and you can still stand and sing praises to God. Amen
I get a little numb to the pictures and stories, too. Thank you for putting it in perspective.
Nice. You got me. Thanks, hon, for bringing it home. Love you! And praying for them more easily now.
Post a Comment