Monday, December 14, 2009

I'm Not a Poet

I'm not a poet. But I had this twirling in my head for a few days so I wrote it and want to share. I've been writing a Christmas story, but have pressured myself to have it done too fast and I'm actually ruining the Christmas season for myself. I set it aside for now and wrote this instead. Hope you enjoy!

'Twas The Night
‘Twas the night of Christ’s birth and all through the land,
the only noise that was heard was the bleating of lambs.
The shepherds nearby kept warm by the fire
Longing for hope in a world so hopelessly dire.
Lord Jesus was wrapped in swaddling clothes
God’s final answer to Man's lifetime of woes.
His mother, Mary, a virgin, lay nestled nearby
And Joseph, her husband, worked to keep them all dry.
Unaware as they looked on the fragile babe with awe
That angels proclaimed the fulfillment of the Law.
To weary shepherds that kept watch through the night
Cherubs worshiped the God of Glory and Light.
After heavy eyelids drifted off into sleep
Jesus suddenly awakened to the bleating of sheep.
As Mary and Joseph looked on in surprise,
Shepherds approached God’s only Son with tears in their eyes.
His hands –someday to be stained with our sin-
Were in tight little fists thrust under His chin.
His eyes that had seen the world as it was new
Glistened and sparkled a soft baby blue.
He cried out in hunger for His mother to hear
And she tucked him in close as more shepherds drew near.
“This” they wondered, “is the hope for all men?”
But none of them doubted what the angels told them:
“Born to you this day and lying in a manger
is Christ Jesus the Lord, your only true Savior.”
Having seen Him this night they hurried to spread
Good news to Bethlehem’s people, who slept in their beds.
Mary treasured these things up in her heart.
When His life came to an end, she would think of this start:
In a humble manger with a trough for a bed,
A cross on Golgotha is where He would be led.
Hope for sinners would be hung there to die
But three days later would victoriously rise.
Triumphant and whole, our Savior would then
Sit down beside God -ransom paid- for the sin of all men!

5 comments:

Amy said...

So beautiful. Yesterday at church while singing What Child is This I nearly broke down in tears at some of the words to the song I don't think I'd heard before. And to see the background picture of the baby in the manger it really hit hard to think of a new little baby, given to one day be sacrificed so cruelly, for our good.

Good Christians, fear, for sinners here, The silent Word is pleading.
Nails, spear shall pierce Him through, The cross be borne for me, for you. Hail, hail the Word made flesh, The Babe, the Son of Mary.

Thanks for sharing, and for not being a poet, you sure write poetry beautifully. :)

Anonymous said...

I like it. It's going on the fridge.

I've been following your blog for a few months now and love it. Thank you for sharing. Your honesty is refreshing, as are your stories. I applaud you in your efforts to be debt free; it's not something many people strive for these days.

God's blessings to you!

Melissa (a at-home mom from California)

Anonymous said...

Well done sweet girl. You are demonstrating that where your treasure is there your heart will be also. In the midst of His amazing grace, Chris D.

Angela said...

Very beautiful Bethany. It brought tears to my eyes. Praying blessing on you guys today.

denise said...

Wow, that was amazing! It makes me love our Lord even more. I think we may use your poem during our little family's celebration of Christmas.

Have you ever considered writing stories for children?