Monday, December 28, 2009

Happy Birthday, My Girl!

Fourteen years ago, I stood in a cold hospital room and watched my Grandma take her last breaths. I clung to a cousin I had never met and wept with sorrow and joy. My Grandma had left us, but I knew at that moment she was at the feet of her Savior. She had longed to see Jesus, to be home with Him and, finally, she was. A great void was left and December 27th became a sad day in our family.
Twelve years later, I cried great tears of joy over the birth of you, Raegan, my firstborn. God had turned our mourning into dancing. My pregnancy was one of great testing for my faith. I had lost two babies before you. For me a positive pregnancy test only meant that pain was soon to follow. While I was pregnant with you, I chose to be thankful for each day that you were with us. A snowy December day, you came screaming (quite literally!) into our lives. Pink and perfect and full of life and passion. I am still grateful for each day.
The last two years have flown! I love you so dearly, my girl. Your laugh, your smile, your excitement over everything. I even love your tears and your fits. Everything about you is so completely bright. You love life and it's so easy to join in the fun you are having. You are such a wonderful big sister; I couldn't be more proud. You are tender and kind. You pat Daddy's back when he holds you. You hold our faces in your soft little hands and talk to us so sweetly.
I am so thankful God made me your Mommy. I pray I am worthy, for it is a great responsibility. I love you so, so much and can't wait to see all that God has planned for you! Just don't grow up too fast, ok? Let's slow time down a bit. The last two years have gone by at warp speed!
This year you were sick for Christmas and your birthday. Christmas was a bit overwhelming for you, so we stayed home and kept your day low-key, but special. We stayed in our pj's all day (Mommy and Daddy are sick, too!). I made apple pancakes for you and we ordered your favorite pizza for dinner. We are having a family party for you later, so I am going to make cupcakes then. You blew out candles that were in a slice of pizza and you loved it! Daddy and I (along with G&G Riehl) bought you a police cruiser. You are having so much fun with it. You love balloons right now, so I ran out and got you a big bouquet of them to play with. They have gone everywhere with you. I hope you enjoyed your day (it sure looked like you did!) and I am looking forward to many, many, many more wonderful birthdays with you! Love you so much!
Mommy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry you all have been sick. And yet, celebrations still happen and blessings still get counted for this is the good stuff.

Angela said...

I am glad you were able to enjoy the holidays and Raegan's birthday even though you guys were sick. I hope you guys are feeling better very soon.

Lisa said...

Raegan is such a sweet little girl. We just love her! Hope you all feel well soon. We've been sick here, too.