Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Full Fledged Funk


These outfits are simply darling, no? My sweet friend, Angela, bought them for the girls when I had Harper. I have been anxiously waiting for Harper to be big enough to wear hers. When I realized she had finally reached the crucial point of chub, I set out the outfits and twiddled my thumbs all week. Sunday was the day and they looked precious! This is about the best we could do picture-wise, unfortunately.
I am in a full-fledged funk. Ooh...say that 10 times fast. Anywho. Every so often I have a fire lit in me to write. Once I finally start, I live and breathe my story. I write every chance I get. I get up early to write, I stay up late. I get 10 chapters in...and I poop out.
I doubt the story. I criticize the plot. Eventually I throw in the towel and try not to think about writing anymore. And it works for a while. Then, sometime later, I get the itch again. Stories fly around in my head like little whirlwinds. I journal the plots. I scribble the names of characters on the sermon notes at church. I toss and turn at night, painting imaginary pictures on the ceiling to see if that chapter would work, or maybe that one...
But I know myself and I know I will not be happy once I start to put the ideas to paper (or screen). So I avoid the computer. I check email every so often. I skim through other blogs. I won't write anything. Soon I have to scratch that itch and just as the story starts to unfold...I get a few chapters in and...poof! There goes that fire.
I currently have the itch. So I've been avoiding the computer.
The nice side is I am getting a lot done. I've accomplished quite a bit around the house. I've been able to be a listener at AWANA and I love that. I'm going through an amazing Bible study on Esther and meeting some great women at church. I'm busy. But my characters are waiting in the wings, anxious to start their "lives".
Sigh.
And as a result I have no idea what to blog about. My mind is cloudy. But one cute thing I have to share:
Lately whenever we have been out running errands, Raegan loses it when we come home. It starts as a whimper in the garage and bursts into an all out fit once in the house. (This isn't the cute part, by the way)
She crawls oh-so-pathetically through the hall to the garage door and wails as if she just found out Curious George left the Man With the Yellow Hat to live with the Doorman.
Tragedy.
She also hasn't been napping very well. Hmm. I wonder if the two have anything to do with each other?
We have been combating this problem by gently picking her up, carrying the writhing lady to her room, and telling her she can come out whenever she's finished with her lovely fit.
The amazing thing is she stays in there until she is done.
Even more amazing: when she comes out to join the family, she crawls onto the couch, pulls a blanket over herself and usually falls asleep for about two hours.
Sunday was no exception.

Of course you need a balloon after such an outburst of disappointment and rage. She held onto that balloon for dear life until she fell asleep and it slipped quietly from her fingers.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Very cute! Cute outfits, cute fit exhaustion, cute balloon blanket nap. :) I am definitely not a writer like you, but I do get into funks of my own. It sounds like your funk you're in is actually making you quite productive in other things..at least that's a plus! Hope you get to put your story together in a way you love soon!

Lisa said...

Aiden used to do that exact same tantrum every single time we'd come in the house from being out and about. It didn't last long - maybe a couple of months or so. Those are cute outfits, by the way!

Amy.E said...

re: your writing process. I want to share with you an excerpt of an interview in which Diana Gabaldon talks about her writing process. It made so much sense to me, and, if I ever stop thinking and start doing, is exactly the process I would choose to use. I'll email the excerpt and the link...eventually...no, soon!

denise said...

I understand perfectly about the writing thing. It's a tricky process, for sure. (Uh...maybe you can forward that email from Amy.E?)

The balloon at nap time just cracked me up. Little kids are such characters.