Lately, this is how I've been getting my Bible study done during the day. And dinner. And dishes. Newborn in her bouncy on the table and First Born in her highchair, munching a snack. And, of course, Psalty is in the background getting our toes tappin'. It works. But as far as Bible study goes, it really only lets me scratch the surface. Just as I embark upon an amazing truth and my eyes start to sting and water over the realization of just how awesome God is...the screaming starts: "Meeeeeeee!!!!!!!! Noooooooo!!!!!!!!" ("Me" is the cat and a very high-pitched, passionate "No!" is warning for the cat to get her paws (literally) off of First Born's toys.) Then Newborn gets startled and realizes she's hungry. Soon we have a loud house with two inconsolable little ladies.
Sigh. So much for "quiet time" with the King of Kings.
This morning was rare for me. Newborn woke up and I nursed her in bed. We snuggled there in the quiet of the morning. I was able to stroke her soft hair, kiss her sweet brow and pray over my family. Mostly I was able to stop and thank God for all He has blessed me with. More than thank Him for it, I was able to breathe it in. The blessings I have are found in the sweet smell of Newborn's skin, the quiet snoring I hear on the monitor in First Born's room, the hint of my sweetheart's cologne on his pillow (ok, ok...he doesn't really wear cologne. It just sounded better then deodorant. Ha!).
Once Newborn was fed and back asleep, I sneaked into the shower and enjoyed the hot spray and solitude. I dried my hair (never happens anymore!) and listened to a praise CD while I got dressed. I tiptoed through the quiet morning and started a pot of coffee. Amazed that my girls were still sleeping soundly, I wrapped myself in a blanket, grabbed my camera (of course - everything these days is blog worthy!) and my steaming coffee and enjoyed the view from my favorite spot:
The bench was given to us when our neighbor passed away. His mom told me that I needed a bench to sit on and watch my kids play out front. And it looked sharp on our front "porch" (aka - concrete spot in front of the house!). For now, however, it's in the backyard so I can watch the Wild Child play in a safe, fenced in, yard. I love it. And I love that behind us is an empty field.
As much as I hate the cold, I embrace mornings like today. The steam from the coffee danced and swirled beneath my nose, the cold seeping in through the blanket was invigorating. What a blessed morning.
Yet, as I prayed and sang praise songs softly (so as not to scare the neighbors!) I was reminded that even the moments where life seems far less than glamorous or peaceful, I am in the midst of blessings and moments with the God of the Universe. I don't have to have quiet and coffee and a great view. While moments like that are refreshing and important, they are no more real than the moments I pray with my children falling apart all around me.
The times I am smelling a dirty diaper instead of soft skin are no less in His eyes. They are part of the package. Part of the work He is accomplishing. My purpose hasn't passed me by. I'm in the midst of it. Every moment of every day, big or small, unique or mundane, I am a living breathing child of God. I still can't wrap my mind around how incredible that is.
Whoever and wherever you are in life, I pray this for you. That you will know that you know that you know that God is for you. He loves you. You were created for Him. By Him.
The King of Kings knows your name.
Incredible.
3 comments:
Beautiful. Thank you.
Very sweet post. You're in a crazy and wonderful season of life. I love that you're seeing the blessings of that season.
Love it! Love you! Had a random stranger twin of yours come through drive-thru the other day! I wanted to run out and give her a hug for you! I also love your insight at this crazy wonderful time of your life! God is good!
Post a Comment