Monday, September 14, 2009

Dumpster Diving - Revisited

This week marks my one year anniversary of blogging. (I know, I can hear the cheers!) I started this blog to share pictures with family and friends. I was always hesitant when I emailed updates out (since you never know who actually wants to see each little stage of life and who is just being polite and is cursing your silly emails from the other side of that computer screen!). Soon my blog became an out. A way to connect with other women...during Rae's nap time...in my pajamas...smelling a little...funky before my shower. Anywho. This week will be busy. Richard is going back to work tomorrow (was supposed to be today, but he found out he's working in Friday instead, so has today off). My friends, Jeni and Jacque will be in town tomorrow and stay until Thursday morning. I also have to go back to the Dr. today (so sick of that place!!! it's no fun when you're no longer pregnant!) because I am experiencing more pain in totally different ways. Ugh. Apparently when your Dr. tells you to slow down, you should listen! So this week I will be re posting some of my favorites over the year. Starting with my first ever post. Enjoy!


So I took Raegan and our dog, Roxie, on a walk right around sunset last night. Friday is trash day, so a lot of our neighbors had their bins out. As I walked down the street, I noticed that a really cool toy had been placed out for the garbage man. I quickly decided he didn't need it and Rae probably did. So I went and knocked on the door to, quite sheepishly, ask if I could have their garbage for my baby to play with. No one answered the door, so I made a quick decision and snatched it up. Lucky for me, right when I picked up this awkward thing a huge family (I'm talking dogs, kids, parents, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.) came walking up behind me and walked in the same direction as my house. I tried to hobble along casually, balancing the stroller, Roxie (who was now going nuts over the herd following us) and my new prize. I held my head high, thanked the Lord for such a great, FREE find and continued home as quickly as I could. I got home and cleaned it off and it has been a hit! I feel like a vagabond, but the look on Raegan's face when she started discovering all the cool features to this little house made that little walk of shame worth it.
(Raegan still loves this toy, by the way. It had batteries in it when I stole - er - found it and we JUST replaced them last week. Amazing!)

3 comments:

denise said...

I'm sorry you're in pain and having to go back to the Dr. No fun! But I'm glad you're still going to post some "oldies" this week.

I love that you had the guts to pick up that toy and lug it home. Totally worth the humiliation. My friend has the same toy for her kids (she bought it used) and my daughter loved it. So awhile back, I looked for it online and a new one cost over $40.

Lisa said...

I remember this post, and I remember that toy. We have the same one in our church nursery, though it's probably not is as good of shape as yours.

Alaina said...

Happy Blogversary! :) Hope you feel better soon.