Richard and I went to see our friends, Amy and Zeb, and their precious baby, Alexandra Nicole (Allie) today. She is doing better and improving more daily, but still needs lots of prayer. We scrubbed down and went to see her in NICU. Oh what a place that is. I've known many babies that have been in NICU, heard stories all over, but have never been to a NICU. Our hospital here has a great one, but how great can such a place be? Every beep and cry I heard reminded me of the precarious condition these little ones are in. It's sobering.
Amy and Zeb were just like any proud parents are. Unable to keep their hands off their baby girl and unable to wipe the smiles from their faces as they gazed at her. Allie was taken off oxygen today and has been breathing on her own. When we left Amy and Zeb were going to be able to hold her for the first time as soon as Amy finished pumping. Allie isn't able to eat yet, so they are storing up the good stuff for later.
I thought that the merconium had burned her lung and caused the hole, but it was caused because she was trying so desperately to breathe that she blew a hole in one of her lungs. As we chatted and watched her, I wanted to cheer with each breath she took on her own. What a simple and amazing thing.
In and out.
In and out.
So huge.
So simple.
And God knows each one. He has measured out every breath that this girl will take. Mapped out every single one for the rest of her life. How amazing to witness some of her first real ones.
Please keep praying; they really appreciate any prayers said for Allie and her recovery. Amy will be discharged tomorrow and she's not looking forward to it. That means they are further than an elevator ride from Allie and that's heart breaking. Zeb can't bear to leave her side. He has hardly left her. Amy is still recovering herself, but is doing so at an incredible rate. She is walking all over and isn't taking any narcotics for pain. She's amazing!
Will keep everyone posted as I hear updates.
2 comments:
The day I left my Reagan in the NICU when I was discharged from the hospital was one of the hardest days of my life! I will be praying for your friend that they can have that baby home in their arms soon!
So glad to hear that baby is improving. We'll keep them in our prayers!
Post a Comment