Monday, May 11, 2009

Dreams Unrealized?

Do you ever feel like you've peaked? That your "glory days" are all in the past? A few girlfriends and I have had this conversation in recent months. We reminisce about college and how goofy we were. Then we quickly hang up the phone when we hear a little one crying down the hall. Days of staying up late, laughing over nothing at all and creating wild adventures (mostly innocent ones) have been traded for laundry, housework, life coaching and finding oneself asleep and drooling all over the couch before the 10 o'clock news. I am disappointed in so many unfulfilled dreams. I wanted to work, so I dropped out of college. Now I really want to graduate. I wanted to work in an orphanage in a poor country for as long as possible. I wanted to travel through foreign countries and experience it all. I wanted to run marathons and be successful in some way. I don't feel like I've been successful in too many things.
For some reason Mother's Day is still sad to me. I experienced a few very painful ones after my first miscarriage and it seems I can't enjoy the day without thinking of how many women are hurting while I am beaming. I am also really uncomfortable with how much "honoring mother" we are supposed to do. I love my mom, she is wonderful and some moms really do need a day of pampering. Nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't argue away breakfast in bed, ya know what I'm sayin'? But why should I be doted on and fussed over for a title I so desperately wanted? Prayed for? Cried for? Rejoiced over? It just doesn't sit well with me.
So after seeing that Raegan was not going to make it to church anyway (her sleeping schedule is all off and she needed a nap) we opted to stay home from church yesterday. I baked all morning and it was glorious! At one point Raegan was on a chair nearby, helping me cook while Richard made her breakfast. We had the local Christian radio station on and we were just together, singing along to praise songs and worshiping as a family. One of the songs reminded me of Job and Richard listened patiently while I rambled on about that. Raegan enjoyed her breakfast and Richard and I snuck a few flour dusted kisses. That was an ideal Mother's Day for me. Just being with my family and rejoicing over all the good things God has done for me. Then we did some more yard work (we worked outside all day on Saturday) and went to a lovely BBQ at my sister's.
I've realized over the last few days that I haven't peaked. I haven't seen it all.

I haven't seen my daughters play dress-up and unleash their imaginations.

I haven't yet become master landscaper with the rest of my family. We still have baby trees that need nurturing, a garden planted and starting to sprout. Many, many lessons to learn as we work and laugh together as a family...

Church soft ball games to cheer at. I still haven't reached my limit of jumping up and down as my HOT husband cracks that bat against the ball and runs to first, presses on to second and - OH! Run! Run! Run! He's stealing third!!!!!!

I haven't seen all the ways my daughter will be creative. I haven't taught her many things in the kitchen yet. She already has stirring down, but there is so much more...

I haven't stopped laughing with friends or sharing amazing moments of discovery.

I haven't attempted all the amazing recipes I have found...such as these fun mini pies.

My life certainly hasn't peaked. It isn't over...

In fact, it is just beginning. It appears that God has bigger dreams for me than I ever had for myself.

2 comments:

Adrian said...

Ohhh, this post started so sad and I was forming my words of encouragement (and reproof,heehee! :) I love you!) as I read, but ohhhh, it ended well, my dear friend! THANK YOU LORD< I SAID TO MYSELF AGAIN AND AGAIN AS I READ TO THE SWEET END! THANK YOU, LORD, for Your dreams for us truly are bigger than we can even ask or imagine! AMEN and AMEN! I love, Love, LOVE YOU me beloved B!
p.s. thinking of you this morning as I began Beth Moore, Esther bible study. About finding God when He seems absent. Hm. Any plans to do this one in your near future? I am downloading the sessions and doing it on my own. Oh, that you could bring over a wkbk and sit with me, sweet friend! Someday.... :) XOXOXO!

Alaina said...

Wonderful post. Sounds like a beautiful day. And I completely identify with the sad part of Mother's Day - my heart ached the whole week leading up to it for the women who desire motherhood and whose arms are still empty.