Friday, April 17, 2009

Liz and I have been sick with head colds the last few days and not much has been done around here. Dishes and toys have been taken care of and that is about it. Our days have consisted of lounging around with our favorite blankets watching hours upon hours of PBS. I now know the daily schedule. Curious George and Sid the Science Kid are my personal favorites.
Any who...most days I shower either before Liz wakes up or during her nap. This week has been full of exceptions and my showers have been rather quick and chilly. I like to get nice and steamy and just relax under the shower stream, but as you can see here:

Liz likes to peek in to say "hi". And out rushes all that built up steamy goodness. And in it's place come goosebumps all over the legs that are poised and ready to be shaved...not a fun situation.
Today I was desperate for a warm shower and some smooth legs when all was said and done. After several failed attempts at getting Liz to nap (she has a terrible cough that gets much worse when she is flat), I gave up and took her and a few toys into the bathroom with me. Usually this is a fine scenario, but like I said, I was desperate for a relaxing shower and a successful shave and, well, you saw the picture. Our time went about like this:

"Ok, Liz, Mommy's going to hop in the shower really fast, you just play with these toys here, and I'll be right out."
I turned the CD player to something upbeat so she could shake her groove thang and I stepped into the steady stream of hot water. Er, I mean lukewarm water...for those of you that actually believe that I, as a pregnant woman, should only take lukewarm showers.
Ahhhh...I could feel my sinuses loosening and my muscles relaxing...
CRASH!!!
I peeked around the corner of the shower curtain to see Liz pulling various things from the cupboard and throwing them around the bathroom. Normally some mothering would kick in here, but...ah, well. She's playing. Back to my shower...
Soon I heard the patter of Liz feet coming closer at a fast rate of speed...thwap!
Again, I peered out and found her sprawled near the toilet, the victim of slippery pj bottoms on linoleum. I squatted down and offered a few wet kisses and promised that Mommy was almost done.
I started sudsing up my legs...did I dare? I have scars from the few times I have attempted to shave with Liz nearby. It really should be more simple, but that quick whip of the shower curtain, adorable little, "hi!", and blast of cold bathroom air just invites nicks...or deep gashes along my leg that require several band aids...whatever.
I heard the patter of Liz feet heading toward my closet in the opposite direction and made a snap decision. Smooth legs, here I come! No more Hairy Carey! I made a few quick strokes and heard the closet door squeaking. Liz loves to shut doors. A warning rose in my throat that Mommy won't be able to open the door for her...then evil, selfish ambition washed over me:
"If she locks herself in the closet, I can shave at a normal pace and even relax in the shower a little longer..." Insert evil laugh here.
More squeaking of the door...more evil laughter...then the pitter patter of little Liz feet. Soon I am racing against time, realizing how much time my mad scheming had lost me. I'm half way through leg #1 When ~ SWOOSH!!!~
"Hi!!!!"
Ouch! Nick #1....Oh well. That one should only take a little band aid.
She watched in absolute fascination while I quickly scraped the rest of leg #1 and all of leg #2, shivering through it all.
As I dried off and lotioned up, Raegan made all the little nicks and missed spots worth it when she pretended to put lotion on her belly and legs...
That's my girl. We don't' want stretch marks...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Put Vicks Vaporub on Raegan's feet and then put socks/footie jammies, etc over it and let her sleep (I have heard this tones down cough). Some people swear by this to clear up night time coughing. Good luck, :)

Angela Rash

Adrian said...

Tee-hee! What we go through as moms.... eh? Thankfully it is all for but a season, or I know I wouldn't manage.
Life changes and God is GOOD.
XOXO