Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Accomplishments and Other Such Things

I made myself a very strict list of goals the other day and posted them on my other blog and today I accomplished a lot of them! I woke up at 5, had an hour of quiet time and wrote for an hour before Raegan woke up. Sure now I'm so tired I can't see straight, but my second breakfast and a walk should help perk me right up. I also got a lot of little things accomplished yesterday such as...

creating this writing space. Do you love my ancient laptop? It was my high school graduation gift. Thanks, Dad! I am committed to spending 5 hours here a week. I wrote an entire chapter today and am actually excited about the story I have in mind! Of course, I have three others rolling around in there that I might tinker with as well, but I am committed to finishing this one and writing, writing, writing. No more excuses! I feel that this is something God has placed heavy on my heart for reasons I don't know, but I am committed to following through.
I also cleaned my house (including bathrooms), made a delicious meal and am much closer to finishing my W.O.W. project. Feeling good!

For reasons unknown, this adorable creature has some pretty strange habits. Maybe they are just strange to me. She has to have her hair out of her face. Has to. She swipes furiously at her forehead if those golden brown locks float near. She must have two particular blankets nearby and be sitting in the exact right spot to drink her milk. She cannot wear shoes in the car. Cannot. If I try to stay one step ahead and keep her shoes off until we get somewhere, she must remove her socks. And for some reason, if I let her chirp to herself long enough after a nap, all crib items must be thrown overboard.

Of course, she isn't that odd really if you take her parents into account. I'll be kind to Richard, but I'm willing to poke fun at myself. I find great satisfaction in this:

My kitchen is not clean to me unless this knife block is full. If not, no amount of scrubbing or mopping makes it feel complete and clean to me.
My wonderful husband went to the store for me last night and gave in to my pleas (ok more like demands) for this...please note the amount left, not the amount missing...


After Oreos I must, absolutely must, have an apple. No amount of brushing will make me feel clean until I've had a crunchy apple to help remove the oreo grime. And the apples Richard brought home are...interesting. Ever had an apple that tastes like grape? Not actual grapes, but grape flavor? Interesting indeed.
And on that note, my last strange admission is that I believe fruit tastes a gazillion times better if eaten outside. Sometimes I will take a bite of fruit indoors, then step outside to get the full flavor on my tongue. It's true. Fresh air brings out fruit's full flavor. It's amazing. Truly.
I know these things aren't terribly strange, especially Raegan's habits, but they are things that make us who we are.
Any strange things you would like to share about yourself?

3 comments:

The Jernigan Family said...

Good luck! I too am organizing a couple of rooms too and know I can can see the biggest change and know it was all woptth

Jenny said...

Your little one is a hoot! My more embarrassing quirk that my husband makes fun of to no end is that I have to "check" my sheets for bugs before I get into bed. The only bugs I've ever found were the plastic ones my hubby has planted after he figured out my habit. I don't even really have to check that good. Just lift the covers and glance. That's all I'm admitting to for the moment. :) I like your writing area. What kind of book are you writing?

Rachel Beran said...

Oh, girl, I just wanted to tell you that Oreos were a MUST when I was expecting! I ate a lot of Oreos and milk. I ate a lot of good things too, but Oreos were an almost daily thing. I should add that I had a very healthy baby. :)

What kind of book are you writing? I'd like to hear more.

P.S. I DO like your ancient laptop...better than not having one at all like me. :)