Friday, June 21, 2013

It's Not THAT Awkward, Is It?

"I'm going to my editor's house for a meeting," I say to my husband, giddy inside. How important does it feel after years of daily appointments with the Diaper Genie to have a meeting?! With an editor. That I need to take my laptop to. (read: itsy, bisty, teenie, weenie notebook computer that I love)
-it's not that awkward that when I pull into her neighborhood (which happens to be my favorite neighborhood of all time) I gawk and ooh and aah and any ounce of professionalism I might have left the house with flies right out of my head, is it?
-it's not awkward that when she opens her door, I gush, "Forgive me, but I'm going to drool over your house now!", is it?
-it's not awkward when, because of my doggy-like panting over her kitchen, she offers to give me a tour of the house and I practically shout "Yes please!" right in her face, is it?
-it's not awkward that during aforementioned tour, I'm fitting my furniture into her house, is it? Oh, did I mention I was doing that out loud? She could hear me say, "Wow, our bed would look so good in here!" or "This would be perfect for when my in-laws come visit!" or "Oh my gracious! Homeschool room! Yes!" That's not awkward, right?
-is it awkward that, recognizing my ridiculous behavior, I mellowed out and opened my notebook computer, only to find that when I dropped it the night before I shattered the screen from the inside. Ugh. Then I'm frantic to convince her, "No worries, I can easily get the six chapters from the new book off of here. Um, I mean, obviously, I don't have to worry about that because of course I backed them up onto a thumb drive. Pffft. No worries. He, he, he." (Insert deep panic inside)

That's not that awkward, right? I mean, she might not ever suggest the meeting at her house again, but...that's not because of me...right? Guys?
Who am I kidding? I should count my blessings that the Diaper Genie will still hang with me after the great debacle of 2010.

2 comments:

Amy said...

So fun!!! Betty, you have such a fun personality I am sure she was just charmed! That would be horrifying though to find your screen shattered as you are getting down to business. That would totally happen to me! Was it actually backed up?

B.D.Riehl said...

Not backed up, no, but thankfully I can plug it into a different monitor so that I can retrieve the chapters. Phew!