Recently, my publisher asked me to write an author bio for my book and I was struggling. I am by no means a shy person, certainly not against accolades and such, but bragging on oneself in a humble way for the sake of selling books is new to me. For inspiration, I flipped through books from my stash written by my favorite authors. I plucked one out, skimmed the list of accomplishments and awards, put it back, picked up another. I started to notice a theme.
Hmmm.
I have no awards or accomplishments; unless we're allowed to mention that Golden Plunger Award I received when I worked in housekeeping in college.
Or the Hospitality Award I had when I worked at Starbucks.
I was becoming discouraged and more frustrated when I came upon a book my mom sent me years ago when she and my dad lived in another state. I remembered she had written a note to me on the front page and when I turned to it, I became emotional.

"B,
Love you lots!
Hope you enjoy this story - maybe one day another mother will buy a book for her daughter to read from her favorite author B!!
Much love,
Mom
Psalm 62:5-8
I mean...wow.
I have always wanted to be an author. Ever since I wrote "Bug Teeth" -a compelling tale of the dangers of improper mouth hygiene - in third grade. I have been dabbling with things since then. Articles, the blog, my own short stories and half-written novels. I've sent my dad so many story beginnings he finally said, "Please, I want to finish a story someday." Me too, Dad.
But that's hardly the stuff you put in your author bio.
This sweet small gift from my precious, supportive, wonderful Mom gives me confidence and courage. Even if the back of my book only says, "B.D. Riehl lives with her husband, girls, and dog and this is her debut novel", that will be enough.
I hope I can offer my girls even a fraction of support and confidence that my mom has shown me.
But more than that, the verses she included...how did she know that I would need those words so desperately when I opened to that book ten years later?
You see, when I was trying to write my bio, there was much more going on in this house. Mr and I have been talking about turning this blog into an author website. I started my author facebook page (B.D. Riehl if any of you want to follow me!) and I even -ugh - signed up on twitter. (@riehlbooks) Tips I've read and suggestions from my publishers have sent me into a spin trying to prepare for the promotion of this book. I was getting stressed...and cranky. I said something utterly ridiculous to Mr Man and that led to a long talk.
We both agreed that I was off course. This book, this story, this moment in time has been led and directed by the Lord in such tender and powerful ways; I could never portray it. I will try in the next post, but for now, I'll simply say: God had given me this ability to write. He broke through my insecurities to show me that this gift must be used to glorify Him, and now I am in the process of my first book being published.
So why-oh-why am I so worried about it selling? I firmly believe it will sell as much as He intends it to sell. I will work hard and do my part in what He directs me to do, but the worry, the stress, the pursuit of success - it's not the point.
I love that my sweet Mama, over ten years ago, having no idea how much her little note would touch me and encourage me in this process, included this passage:
"My soul, wait in silence for God only,
For my hope is from Him.
He only is my rock and my salvation,
My stronghold; I shall not be shaken.
On God my salvation and my glory rest;
The rock of my strength, my refuge is in God.
Trust in Him at all times, O people;
Pour out your heart before Him;
God is a refuge for us."
How did she know? Point is: she didn't. But He, the Author of all things -even this moment in time- did.
No comments:
Post a Comment