What if we completely disagree with how the class is run?
What if they try to make her learn dance moves that go against our morals?
What if she hates it?
What if I hate it?
In the end, there were things I didn't love and things I really did. There were weeks when she really didn't want to go, and weeks she did. It was a good lesson for her in commiting to something and following through, no matter how she felt on a daily basis. For the most part, she loved it.
I was proud of my little one for being innocent enough to have no idea how to "shake her booty" when the teacher instructed. Five months of class, and the girl still just sways her body in little girl innocence.
I loved how well she listened to her teacher (something I have wondered about in the homeschool decision-will she easily respect other authority figures?).
I loved how much fun she had.
I hated the recital just a bit. Ok, so almost enough to swear her off dancing forever. But when all was said and done, it was too cute to let 3 long hours of disorganization and restless little ones-surrounded by seasoned dancers(and their skimpy costumes)-count me out forever.
Dic and I hated her costume. It's cute, for sure and she's precious in it.
But, I thought it too grown up for a little one. When you see it, you might think I'm overreacting. I assure you if you heard the stories I do from my Mr. Man, you would agree I'm not.
I miss little ones being allowed to be kept in innocence and grace. Yet another reason we plan to homeschool: so we have a firm, direct impact on her values and sense of worth-as God's word teaches, not as the world sees it.
But we will not shield her or hide her from the world. As she's ready, old enough and able to handle some truths, she will be slowly introduced to them; but she will be allowed to be a little girl.
With the occasional she-seriously-has-to-wear-that-for-the-recital? moment.
The little arm things became quite the issue that night. She hated them and I told her she only had to wear them for the class picture and dance...they didn't make it onstage. We had waited through almost 2 hours of rehearsal, then 40 minutes before her turn to perform and she was done. I decided not to push it and am so glad I didn't.

I thought that when the curtain rose and she saw the crowd of people, she would freeze or run off stage. Instead, the curtain rose to reveal a half-full auditorium and Little Miss waved like Miss America, giggled and jumped up and down. She induced a lot of laughter and a few whistles. She was so delighted this huge group of people were there to watch her
. We may have a smidge of a star on our hands!

The two little girls in her class had make-up and nail polish on. The make-up will be a no-no for me for quite a while (although I did let her wear some of my sprakly lip gloss), but I did tell her yesterday she could have her nails done. She looked entirely too grown up to me until I got this picture out of her. . We may have a smidge of a star on our hands!
Love this girl!!
1 comment:
I totally struggle with the same wonderings about all the extras that come with dance. So far, money and distance makes it a little tricky anyway, but the fact that she walks everywhere on her tiptoes and dances all the time...it's going to happen sooner or later! :) Raegan looks adorable in her merself, and I loved the video of it! She looked like she had so much fun. :) Love the expressive face she gave you for that last pic and her pretty nails, she is so cute!!!
Post a Comment