Friday, May 27, 2011

Leech Complex

It's a struggle as a homemaker to not feel like a leech. My husband goes to work, comes home, a check shows up in the account and I pay the bills.
It feels like I have somehow tricked this poor man into giving me all of his money and also tricked him into thinking it's a great idea! Anybody else?
Of course, this isn't the reality. No matter how I feel: I'm not a leech.
We just have different roles. At a glance:
His: provider, leader.
Mine: homemaker, supporter.
It works for us and God is helping us to perfect it according to His will.
Part of my job is make our money stretch. To find wise ways to take some and turn it into more. Shopping wisely, staying home with our kids, cooking at home, taking care of the home we live in, etc.
Which brings me to the subject of couponing.
I just have to say: I'm not sold.
There is something appealing to me about the idea. It started with friends posting pictures of their loot and sharing the measly amount they spent on it.
"All of this for only 4.56!!!"
My appectite was whet.
I became really thirsty for couponing when Mr. Man and I sat to watch an episode of "Extreme Couponing" on TLC. Wowza! Have you seen these people?!
I've bought the Sunday paper. I've cut out coupons. But I don't seem to have a knack for it. The coupons I get make my job harder and more expensive. And I'm certainly not strolling away from any stores with three full carts behind me and more money in my purse than I had when I arrived, that's for sure!
I do have to admit, I saw some obvious couponers with carts full of juice at the store the other day and I felt this hot wave of jealous ambition course through my veins. I wanted to be in on whatever game they were, by golly!
So tell me, what do you think of this coupong world? To me it seems like a lot of work for not worthy enough items. I don't need a pantry full of sugary cereal. I don't want a shower out of order because it's packed with paper towels. I really don't need a life-time supply of headache medicine.
I would like to spend the week sharing budget tips and more if ya'll are interested.
If you're into couponing - why? Is it really worth it?
If not - what do you do to stretch your grocery budget?
Let's rally together and shave off the Leech Complex, shall we?

5 comments:

denise said...

I love me some frugality. But I just can't get into the whole coupon deal. I feel like I'd be buying a lot of stuff I don't really want or need...just because I have the coupons. Maybe someone else has had better luck?

To save money, I do these things: 1. Always make a meal plan. 2. Always make a grocery list from the meal plan. 3. Shop at stores like Winco, Grocery Outlet, and bakery outlet. 4. Grow my own produce in the garden.

Amy said...

I am with you Bethany! I tried the couponing after visiting a friend who had the knack for it and I believe she does a good job and sort of forms their meals around what they get on sale. I can't do that. I want to make what we normally have, and buying items I've never heard of because they're an amazing deal isn't for me-and likely we will forget we bought them til they're past expiration date! I'm trying to do what Denise mentioned, attempting my first meal plan and shopping list according to that. I've never been organized for that but money is a bit tight and I know my husband appreciates my efforts towards frugality.

Amy said...

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2010/01/kitchen-tip-menu-planning-101.html has good info for meal planning I am using, and free templates.

At the bottom of this website there is a list of free resources, one including templates for meal planning, freezer inventory, grocery list, etc, that is helpful and...hey, it's cute too. ;)

Amy said...

http://faithfulprovisions.com/ forgot to leave the link!

Jj said...

I LOVE to coupon! However, I like it because a)I don't have kids and b) I look at it like a game or a hobby. One thing to consider...See, every week the blog ladies detail out what to buy where, with what coupons, etc, etc. Even if you don't use coupons, you could check the site before you take off for Winco, see what is on sale and make meal plan according. Just throwing that out there. Happy menu planning!