Friday, December 17, 2010

At Moments Like These

There are moments as a parent that are excruciating. Cleaning bodily fluids from clothes (and various surfaces), teaching through tantrums, awaking at various times in the night to soothe little minds...it ain't always pretty.
Then there are the exhilarating moments that make every fit, ever lost hour of sleep and every frustration worth it.
As a child I had many nightmares.
About Bears.
I still shudder.
Instead of my nightmares bringing bad memories, I have warm ones of my father rocking me and singing to me for as long as it took to calm me down.
He sang two songs to me more than any other and when we danced together at my wedding, those precious songs of praise were what he first whispered in my ear as a married woman.
Little Miss was born just days after Christmas and my parents were able to stay with us for her first few weeks of precious life. I spent many hours in a rocking chair, singing those same songs. I didn't know what else to do with her for a while but sing over her.
Dic said he found my father outside our room on one such occasion with tears in his eyes.
Last night I sang Fo to sleep, then slipped into Little Miss' room to talk with her before bed. We sang the ABC's and Itsy Bitsy Spider and Madam Blueberry.
When I began to sing those familiar songs to settle her down for the night, my heart burst and flooded over with warmth and love for my child. For the richness in my life.
As I began the simple praise, she joined in and sang right along with me to the end.
It seems these words have become just as much a part of her story as they have been mine. Now they mean more to me, in ways I never knew they could.
Oh, God, bless You, Thanks You for Moments Like These:

At moments like these, I sing out a song
I sing out a love song for Jesus.
At moments like these, I lift up my voice;
I lift up my voice to the Lord.
Singing: I love You, Jesus.
Singing: I love You, Lord.
Singing: I love You, Lord, I love you.

You are my hiding place
You always fill my heart with songs of deliverance.
Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You.
I will trust in You.
Let the weak say, "I am strong, in the strength of my Lord."
I will trust in You.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Sooo neat. I love songs that have such neat meanings and sentimental love attached. There's a special song I sing to my kids and to hear C sing along is just so rewarding. To hope they keep the meaningful words in their hearts the rest of their life is our prayer. I'm sure it's so awesome for your dad to see you pass them along to your sweet little ones.

denise said...

What sweet memories for you to share! I recognize those songs.

I struggled with nightmares as a kid too, and what I remember most is my mom comforting me by holding my hand as I fell back to sleep. Such a small gesture, but it meant everything to a scared little kid.