Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Garden of the Gods

There is a place in Colorado that stops me cold in my mundane tracks and makes my heart race with excitement. As you look at the majestic Rocky Mountains with lush greens and browns below Pike's Peak, a bright patch of burnt orange stands tall and beckons for you to come closer to investigate.
The Garden of the Gods is indeed worth investigating.

A beautiful public park full of towering peaks and points, mountains and hills of rust stained stone.
This is my husband's oasis.
Though not for the draw of it's beauty, although he does appreciate that.
My Dic has another love. And I finally got to meet her.




It was a beautiful experience. Dic hasn't been able to go rock climbing since our wedding week 4 years ago! And I have only seen pictures, so it was incredible to watch the delicate dance between rock and climber. Plus, I think my man's calves are pretty foxy and I didn't mind zooming in on them with my camera.
The song that plays through my mind as I look at these photos is:
"On Christ the Solid Rock I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand."
As for Little Miss, dic was elevated higher still as her hero.

And as for her fascination with the sport, and Dic's plans to make climbers out of his girls, well I say, On Christ the Solid Rock they may stand, but any other higher than this:

Over my cold dead body!

1 comment:

denise said...

I don't blame you! My husband enjoys doing CRAZY stuff sometimes too (I definitely think rock climbing qualifies as crazy) and I don't really want our daughter following his lead in those things.

But I am glad Dic had a chance to do something he loves!