Before I married my own "what-seems-to-be-the-problem-Officer?", I respected and loved officers. I still do.
Before, however, cop cars seemed to swarm around like bees - absolutely necessary, usually innocent, but I knew I could be unexpectedly stung by one at any moment. I was the car that would slam on my brakes when I saw a black and white car, even if I was doing nothing wrong.
Now that I'm married to one of those bees, I see them as adorable little butterflies...ok, not quite, but I certainly don't quiver in my boots when they pass by.
I love watching people who do.
My adorable little 15 year old niece has her driver's license and is enjoying the time of her life carting her friends everywhere. Yesterday I stopped by my sister's house on teh way to my parents. My niece and a friend were listening to the radio and I popped my head into the room to give a thumbs up on the song they were listening to. I loved the song and, since they were listening to it, I found it perfectly reasonable to think I would score some teen points there.
Instead they double rolled their eyes, laughed and called me a series of names that caused a high school flashback for me.
Shudder.
Later, they popped over to my parents house while the girls and I were there for dinner. As Dic works in the same city as my parents, he also decided to swing in during a slow moment.
We saw his car pull up, but my niece and her friend were in a different room and completely unaware. Hoping to have a little fun, I walked cautiously to the door and peeked into the computer room where the girls were giggling away.
"Oh my, girls, what did you do?" I asked in a concerned voice as I opened the door and solemnly invited the officer in.
My niece looked over her shoulder and -in true teenage fashion- rolled her eyes when she saw her uncle. Her friend, however, made my whole week.
Her mouth dropped open, her eyes bulged and she backed up a little closer to my nice. Without peeling her gaze away from the uniformed police officer staring back at her, she asked, "What did we do," in an adorable little mousy voice.
My niece re-rolled her eyes, elbowed the terrified girl and said, "oh my gaaawwsh. That's my uncle-ah."
I laughed so hard I almost peed. But I didn't. That would have been embarrassing. Like the time I peed my pants in study hall in 10th grade.
2 comments:
That is hilarious. So much fun. You make my day!
Funny!
Maybe you'd care to share that 10th grade story with us sometime too?
Post a Comment