Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Did You Know...St. Nick.

No story today. Richard and I are down for the count with horrible colds. He is home from work today after making a run to the store for cold supplies at 3 am - his idea, not mine! I still have grocery shopping to do today and Harper is going in for her 4 month check up. Do you sometimes miss being a kid where when you were sick youw ere propped up in your parents' bed with a bell, the remote and all the crackers and juice you could handle? No? Just me? Ok...
I am supposed to brine the turkey, and bring the rolls, stuffing and dessert. I chose pumpkin pie and apple crisp for dessert. I feel so icky though, I am goign to buy frozen rolls and pie crust, just in case I don't good enough by Christmas to cook and bake. It feels so very wrong to buy the premade stuff, but I am so thankful to have the option.
I heard this on a radio station and don't think I could do it any better so...
Did you know...St. Nick:

At Christmas time when calling us to be manger people, perhaps Jesus might say, “consider if you will my servant, Nicholas. He was born of wealthy parents in 280AD in the small town of Patara in Asia Minor. He lost his parents early in his life in an epidemic but not before he was old enough for them to help him discover the gift of faith.
After that, little Nicholas went to Myra and lived a life full of self offering and giving of himself. His life was full of sacrifice and love in the spirit of Jesus. Nicholas lived such a Christ-like life when the town needed a bishop, he was immediately elected. Later he was imprisoned for his Christian faith but released by the emperor Constantine.
Many stories of his generosity were collected and spread like wild fire from mouth to mouth. It was told how he begged for food for the poor. The story most often repeated was about how he would put on a disguise and go out and give gifts to poor children. In fact, Nicholas gave away everything he had plus everything he could get from others.
Good Nicholas died in 314 AD. Later, his body was moved to Italy where his remains are reputed to be today. The story of Nicholas has spread all around the world and today there are more European churches named after Saint Nicholas than any other person in the history of the church, aside from Biblical characters.
People have done many things to St. Nick. Clement Moore, the poet, gave him a red nose and eight tiny reindeer. Artist, Thomas Nast gave Nicholas a round belly and a red fur trimmed suit, but I guess those things really aren’t important.
What is vital is that he lived in the mindset in the lifestyle of Christ and because he lived that way, the life of Nicholas touched the whole world and here’s the kicker: that same Christ-like mindset and lifestyle is supposed to be in and lived by us all. And that is the true story of Old Saint Nick."

Again, not my words, but a great summary.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get better soon sweet friend. Enjoy watching those wee ones play in their self-made wonderlands. Will be praying for you and yours. Merry Christmas and thanks for the stories. Perhaps they will be a Christmas compilation book someday.:O)

denise said...

So sorry you guys are sick! What terrible timing. I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas nonetheless, even with the (gasp!) store-bought pie crusts :)